Complete Pre-tied Target Traces pack of 10
The appendage on TARGET SNAPPER HOOKS prevents undersized snapper from swallowing the fish hook without adversely affecting your catch rate of bigger fish. This PATENTED APPENDAGE is the reason Target Snapper Hooks are THE BEST FISH HOOK FOR THE FISHERMAN AND THE FISHERY!
These incredibly efficient fishing hooks are fitted with a stainless steel wire appendage which is snelled to the hook. The wire protrudes backwards behind the shank of the hook.
Preventing fish from swallowing the hook is very important because over 98 percent of undersized snapper which have swallowed the fish hook will die and are wasted after being returned to the sea. Because it takes a snapper up to 8 years to reach the minimum legal size of 27cm the killing of any undersized snapper represents a huge waste of a precious resource.
DID YOU KNOW? -Over 50 percent of Snapper caught on the East Coast of the North Island are under the minimum legal size limit. And - if you use a long line system from a boat - or use a kite or kontiki fitted with the old style Jap long line hooks like Tainawa, then up to 30 percent of those undersized fish will swallow your hook and are killed and wasted.
If you are using the most popular sized J shaped hooks like Beak Pattern, Octopus or O'Shaugnessy then - not only are you wasting lots of small fish through them swallowing the hooks and dying after release - your overall catch rate is far less than it could be.
The graph below shows how many fish you may be wasting and the difference you could make to your catch rate by changing to TARGET SNAPPER HOOKS.
The research results shown in the graph below are a direct comparison of all the most popular hook types used in New Zealand.
All the hooks in the sea trials were set at the same time, in the same place and with the same bait.
DID YOU KNOW? -Commercial fishers constantly lobby Government and Fisheries Ministers to reduce recreational bag limits and for more harsh constraints on recreational fishing. They are winning their argument because recreational fishers do not appear to accept any responsibility for their effects on inshore fish stocks.
DID YOU KNOW? -Since the Quota Management System was introduced in 1986 to reduce commercial catches and allow depleted snapper stocks to rebuild, recreational fishers have inadvertently killed millions of juvenile snapper through using the wrong hooks and this needless wastage has slowed the rebuilding of these iconic fisheries.
If we do nothing, it is inevitable that millions more will be killed and wasted! DO THE RIGHT THING BUY TARGET SNAPPER HOOKS HERE and reduce the chances of fish swallowing the hook to less than one percent of your snapper catch.
ADVANTAGES OF TARGET LONGLINE TRACES:
- Increase your catch of large snapper and reduce your catch of undersized fish!
- Do your part to conserve precious inshore fish stocks and maintain recreational access to them.
- Leave the fishery in better shape for your kids and grandchildren.
- Get Less Bust Offs - The snell knot we use is incredibly strong and over 99 percent of your catch will be hooked squarely in the mouth - fish can not chew through the trace.
- The shape of the TARGET SNAPPER HOOK allows positive penetration through the toughest parts of a snappers mouth even when used on long lines.
- Ideal for kitefishing, kontiki rigs or boat longlines!
The Trace Pack Includes:
- 10 complete traces, each trace is expertly tied with a 5/0 Seaguard Target Hook, a 22kg nylon trace and PFK in-line swivel clip to reduce tangles.
- Ready to fish, just add bait.
- These traces will fit either our Small or our Large Trace Rack.
- Absolutely the best longline trace available